- Replace saturated fats with monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats.
- Eliminate trans fats.
- Keep cholesterol consumption to less than 300mg daily.
- Keep cholesterol to less than 200 mg/daily if there is a risk of heart disease.
- Limit sodium to less than 2300mg a day.
- Limit sodium to 1500 mg a day if you:
- Are older than 51
- Have kidney disease
- Have hypertension
- Are Black
Powerful tips for lifestyle transformation Tip #9 – More Recommendations for Dietary Hygiene Balance
In my last post, I emphasized good dietary hygiene is dependent upon balancing your intake of carbohydrates, fiber, sugar, protein and fats. Here are a few more suggestions for dietary hygiene balance:
Suanne Kowal-Connelly, MD